A dental crown is a treatment that is used to restore a tooth that has been damaged in some way. As with anything, there are both advantages and disadvantages to getting a dental crown. Your dentist will be able to go further into the dental crowns pros and cons with you, to ensure you are making an informed decision about your dental health treatment, and to make sure that a dental crown is the most effective treatment option for you and your circumstances.
Advantages of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns can be a good solution for a range of dental issues, specifically as a way to rejuvenate a damaged tooth.
Dental crowns can:
- Support a tooth that has significant decay.
- Protect a worn tooth from further damage.
- Protect a tooth after a root canal procedure.
- Hold a severely cracked or broken tooth together.
- Cover a dental implant.
- Improve the appearance of a tooth by changing its shape or colour.
Another advantage is that dental crowns are durable and strong, so they can last a long time. Most people can go 5 to 15 years before needing any further work done to the crown.
Disadvantages of Dental Crowns
While dental crowns are an effective solution to dental problems, there are some disadvantages to consider.
- The tooth must be filed down to the right shape, which is extensive and irreversible.
- Some patients may experience some discomfort after the procedure, specifically sensitivity to hot or cold. Using a toothpaste designed for sensitive teeth can help reduce this.
- Crowns may chip, particularly those made of porcelain, and while it’s possible to repair small chips, larger or multiple breaks in the crown may require a complete replacement.
Weighing up the pros and cons
The risks and benefits of a dental crown procedure should be considered by each patient to ensure that the best solution and procedure is received by every individual. During your consultation with one of our wonderful dentists, they will be able to give you an idea of the right dental treatment for your solution, as well as let you know what to expect when getting a dental crown.
At StarKlinics, we offer same day crowns, through the use of CEREC dentistry. At StarKlinics on the Gold Coast, we use ceramic, a bio-inert material similar to porcelain, because it’s a safe, strong, and durable material that mimics the physical properties of a real tooth. We use CEREC crown to make same day crown treatments available to our clients.
Our philosophy is pain-free regeneration. We will aim to restore what you’ve lost. We use all digital technologies, so you don’t have any needles to worry about.
Experience dentistry with a difference and an incredibly committed team to support you. If you’ve had a long day of treatment, and are too tired to drive home, we can organise someone in our wonderful team to drop you off at your Gold Coast home.
StarKlinics understands that while a proud smile is priceless, dental treatments aren’t always within many people’s budgets. If that’s the case, we’ve got good news! We have hassle-free finance options available, so you can get the treatments you need, and use a payment plan so it’s easier on your budget. Our payment plans are hassle-free, they are also fast, simple and paperless.
We make pain-free dental crowns in Hope Island easy, and convenient. To find out more about our services, and the dental crowns cost, call us today or visit our website.